Issue 12 – MSC Alumni Activities; Dividing by 4 and 8
Announcement – MSC Alumni Homecoming Activities
We would like to hear from you! Fill out the forms
- to update our Alumni directory
- to submit nominations for MSC Outstanding Alumni
- to join the Alumni Shirt Design Contest
- to join the Alumni Men’s Basketball League
- to join the Alumni Men and Women’s Volleyball League
Read More. . .
In this issue
- Announcement: MSC Alumni Homecoming Activities
- MSC Scout Investiture and Camping
- MSC Origins VII: Ghosts at M. Paulino
- Alumni Update: Teachers from MSC
- Computing Lumber Measurements
- Trivia: Bands from MSC
- MSC 12 – Dividing by 4 and 8
To ensure you receive our newsletter in your inbox, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book or safe sender list. Just click here to subscribe, or just send an email with “Subscribe” on the subject line to email@example.com .
MSC Scouts Investiture and Camping
MSC held its Scout Investiture last September 26, 2014 with students ready to take their responsibility to the next level. Their fellow Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, parents and godparents attended the commencement ceremony.
MSC Origins Part VII: Ghosts at M. Paulino
Almost everyone have ghost stories to tell, especially those about old buildings and houses. There is something about old houses that makes them perfect for terrifying stories, imaginary or otherwise. Maybe it is because an old building would have been the site of many events and happenings in the past. An old building would have stood as a “silent witness” to many stories about the people who lived there or visited the place.
Alumni Update: Teachers from MSC
MSC has always led the way and broke new ground involving many things, but what’s good about it is that we are always willing to share our knowledge with everybody. MSC has always been generous with whatever new technology or equipment it has so that others can also benefit from it.
This way of thinking have been instilled in its students, hence many graduates are willing to impart their knowledge through the teaching. We gathered a list of educators who were graduates of MSC and it was no surprise to find a lot!
How To Compute Lumber Measurement
The amount of lumber is expressed in terms of Board Feet. A Board Foot is a piece of lumber 1 foot (12 inches) long, 1 foot wide and 1 inch thick which is equal to 144 cubic inches. If all dimensions are expressed in inches, the amount in board feet is equal to:
(l x w x t)/ 144.
Bands from MSC
When MSC occupied the old Agrix Supermarket along A. Fule St. it was called the MSC Annex. The MSC Annex was not only used for classes of the 2-year course and high school students. It also housed a sound-proofed music studio, complete with instruments, amplifiers, speakers, and band accessories. Instruments of the MSC High school for its drum and lyre band were also kept in the annex.
During summer, MSC offered lessons to young would-be musicians on guitar, keyboard, and drums. At the end of each summer, recitals were held to show what the students have learned.
MSC 12 – Dividing by 4 and 8
We can easily divide a number by 4 by halving the number twice and by 8, by halving thrice. We shall, however try dividing by 4 and 8 using the one line solution introduced in MSC 6 – Division by Two.
When dividing a whole number by 4, there are only 4 possible remainders: 0, which means that the number is evenly divisible by 4; and 1, 2 and 3 which are equivalent to 0.25, 0.50 and 0.75 respectively. In this example, the dividend is an even number so the remainder can only be 0 or 2.
- Issue 1 – Creating Zeroes
- Issue 2 – All From 9 and the Last from 10
- Issue 3 – Subtraction Without Borrowing
- Issue 4 – Stories from MSC Alumni, and Multiplying by 11
- Issue 5 – Blast from the Past, The Search is on and Multiplying by 2
- Issue 6 – Nutrition Month, Carabao Fractions, Division by 2
- Issue 7 – MSC High First Batch in 1998; Doubling and Halving
- Issue 8 – Mutya ng Pilipinas and Multiplying by 9
- Issue 9 – CocoFestival 1996 and Dividing by 5, 50, 0.5 etc
- Issue 10 – MSC Alumni Meeting , Multiplying by 5
- Issue 11 – Featured Alumni – Edgar Cauyan and Division by 9
In the Next Issue
- 25 years of MSC ( more stories )
- MSC 13
- MSC – First School to have a generator
- Batches of OMC and CTC Graduates
Every week, for 25 weeks up to December 4, 2014 when we celebrate our 25th Foundation day, this newsletter will feature one math short cut. We will progress from the simplest to the simple. Believe you can do it! Just proceed one step ( short cut ) at a time, and be pleasantly surprised to discover none of the math short cuts are difficult! Forward this newsletter to your friends, relatives, and young kids.
To ensure you receive our newsletter in your inbox, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book or safe sender list. Forward this mail to your friends and invite them to subscribe to the 25 Math Short Cuts Newsletter today!