Every year, MSC High School celebrates the month of July as Nutrition Month as enjoined by the Department of Education. The 2014 theme is very timely as the National Nutrition Council has selected “Kalamidad Paghandaan: Gutom at Malnutrisyon Agapan!” which aims to promote awareness and intervention strategies to address nutritional needs in emergencies and disasters.
The 2014 MSC Nutrition Month Program held July 28 was highlighted by an Adobo Cooking Festival and Dessert Food Art exhibit, contests in poster –making , essay writing, poetry writing, table skirting and napkin folding, and jingle singing contest participated in by all grade levels.
Adobo is sometimes considered as the unofficial national dish of the Philippines. It is a popular dish and cooking process which involves meat, seafood, and vegetables stewed in vinegar. Adobo recipes last long even without refrigeration, thus suitable in times when there is no electricity during calamities such as typhoons. (http://en.wikipedia.org/
Meal preparation is also an art. Food art makes eating fruits or vegetables more interesting and appetizing especially for children.
The whole day activity served as the climax of the Nutrition Month celebration. It was a fun experience for the students as they learn through practice the importance of proper nutrition and how to prepare food in times of emergencies.
In her message to the students, MSC Principal Ms. Lerma S. Prudente said that proper nutrition helps the young people grow to become healthy citizens of the country and awareness of food cooking strategies in times of calamities will ensure that there will still be food for the family to enjoy on the table, and applying food art in meal preparations makes even the simplest meal appetizing.
The contest winners were judged by MSC faculty members ( Ms. Gemma Dimaano, Ms. Baby Magkawas, Mr. Alfritz Ivan Labo, Ms. Mary Rose Cleofe, Ms. Krizzalyn Barrios, Ms. Jinky Artillero, Ms. Jennry Rose Gonzales) and organized by Health teacher Mr. Rene Antiporda.
Winners of Poster-Making Contest are:
- (Grade 7) Decerie U. Tulipan, 1st place; Linzi P. Penales, 2nd place; Liane Jane V. Sarmiento, 3rd place ;
- (Grade 8) Allyzon D. Reyes, 1st place; Karl Stephen Buedad, 2nd place;
- (Grade 9) Alliah Josiel Patulot, 1st place; Ryan Emmanuel Matuto, 2nd place; Adhie Jhane Faye Banayo, 3rd place;
- (Grade 10) Nicole Algenio, 1st place; Rica Mae S. Comia, 2nd place; Lovynel Cortez, 3rd place.
Winners of the Essay-Writing Contest are:
- (Grade 7) Decerie U. Tulipan, 1st place; Shekinah Diangkinay, 2nd place; Linzi P. Penales, 3rd place ;
- (Grade 8) Mikkel Franz Angeles, 1st place; Allyzon D. Reyes, 2nd place, Aeron John Axelle Banayo, 3rd place;
- (Grade 9) Sean Allan Martin E. Reyes, 1st place; Lady Chanel Millares, 2nd place; Alliah Josiel Patulot, 3rd place;
- (4th Year) Rica Mae S. Comia, 1st place; Lovynel Cortez, 2nd place; Rachel Gutierrez, 3rd place.
Winners of the Poetry-Writing Contest are:
- (Grade 7) Jerick Bonilla, 1st place; Jhon Mark Manalo, 2nd place; Linzi P. Penales, 3rd place ;
- (Grade 8) Elton Escondo, 1st place; Karl Stephen Buedad, 2nd place, Mikkel Franz Angeles, 3rd place ;
- (Grade 9) Lady Chanel Millares, 1st place; Ryan Emmanuel Matuto, 2nd place; Alliah Josiel Patulot, 3rd place ;
- (4th Year) Jan Ezra Panganiban, 1st place; Elyza Mendoza, 2nd place; Lovynel Cortez, 3rd place (4th Year).
Winners of the Napkin Folding contest are: Grade 8, 1st place; Grade 7, 2nd place; Grade 9, 3rd place; 4th year, 4th place.
Winners of the Table Skirting contest are: 4th year, 1st place; Grade 8, 2nd place; Grade 7, 3rd place; Grade 9, 4th place.
Winners of the Adobo Cooking Contest are: 4th year, 1st place; Grade 8, 2nd place; Grade 9, 3rd place; Grade 7, 4th place.
Winners of the Nutrition Month Jingle Contest are: 4th year, 1st place; Grade 9, 2nd place; Grade 7, 3rd place; Grade 8, 4th place.
The MSC Performing Arts Club also presented their “Bahay Kubo” acapella opening number.
You must be logged in to post a comment.