VYP Launches 25 Math Short Cuts Book
In celebration of MSC’s 25th foundation day, Virgilio “Ike”Prudente , President of VYP MSC Institute of Technology, is launching his book, 25 Math Short Cuts.
“25 Math Short Cuts” by Virgilio “Ike” Prudente
will be launched on Dec 4, 2014
25 Math Short Cuts is a compilation of the short cuts published in our 25 MSC newsletter. Those shortcuts will show that most calculations can be done mentally.
25th MSC Founding Anniversary Celebration
Schedule and Updates
It’s the MSC 25th Foundation Anniversary Celebration Week!
What’s happening this week?
- “25 Math Short Cuts” Book Launch
- Math/Science Quiz Show
- Web Design Contest
- Speed Math Contest
- MSC Music Video Contest
- PTA Raffle
- Alumni Homecoming
- Awarding Ceremonies for MSC Most Outstanding Alumni
In this issue
- VYP Launches 25 Math Short Cuts Book
- 25th MSC Founding Anniversary Celebration
- MSC Students Win in the Division Sports Meet
- MSC Origins part XIII: From La Suerte to El Coco
- Stories from the Alumni: Jomaica Luya
- Only at MSC: In-house Training for MSC employees
- Conversion: Miles to Kilometers
- MSC 19: Base Multiplication: One Number Above and One Number Below the Base
To ensure you receive our newsletter in your inbox, please add email@example.com to your email address book or safe sender list. Just click here to subscribe, or just send an email with “Subscribe” on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org .
MSC Students Win in the Division Sports Meet
MSC High School’s Rhyte Jeus Aldemo brought home several awards in different swimming events during the San Pablo City Division Meet, held last November 26 to 29 , 2014. Venus Hernandez and Angelica Rombaoa won third place in the doubles event in badminton.
MSC High School sent 14 students to compete in this year’s San Pablo City Division Meet.
MSC Origins part XIII: From La Suerte to El Coco
In 2002, MSC main, which was then occupying the 4th floor of the La Suerte building was again outgrown by its growing number of students. Even with the old Agrix Supermarket or MSC annex, being used at the same time, an even bigger space was essential.
Fortunately at that time a four storey-building beside MSC Annex was nearing completion and the owner was looking for lessees. The building which was later named El Coco Building was perfect for MSC!
Stories from the Alumni: Jomaica Luya
Five years. It’s been five years since I graduated from MSC. I still remember our rooms at the Artemio Fule Building. The narrow hallways, the transformer classrooms in the ground floor, the two rooms upstairs along with the principal’s office, the so called shop at the back, the library, the faculty, the garage, the secret comfort rooms and passages. It was quite tight. But we all fit in. It felt like home.
Only at MSC: In-house Training for MSC employees
At MSC, the students are not the only ones encouraged to be lifelong learners, MSC management and employees also adopt the principle of lifelong learning by heart.
Despite the busy schedule at the office and at home, the staff of MSC take time to have personal improvement lessons by having weekly discussions taken from books of popular authors. Though temporarily discontinued at the moment, these discussions aim to improve each staff individually and also enhance their team-work skills.
Conversion: Miles to Kilometers
We frequently encounter distances in miles (English System), but in the Philippines, we use the metric system, and need to convert miles to kilometers,
We will use the conversion 1 mile = 1.6 km. And we have several ways to make the computation easier. Let us consider two ways.
MSC 19: Base Multiplication: One Number Above and One Number Below the Base
When one number is above and the other number is below the base, we either
a) add the excess of the number above the base to the other number or
b) deduct the deficiency of the number below the base from the other number.
Example 19.1: Find 104 x 98
Our base is 100, 104 is 4 above the base, and 98 is 2 below the base.
104 x 98
= (100 + 4) *(100 – 2)
= (104 – 2) * 100 + 4 *(-2)
Note that 104 – 2 and 98 + 4 will both yield 102
= 10,200 – 08
- Issue 1 – Creating Zeroes
- Issue 2 – All From 9 and the Last from 10
- Issue 3 – Subtraction Without Borrowing
- Issue 4 – Stories from MSC Alumni, and Multiplying by 11
- Issue 5 – Blast from the Past, The Search is on and Multiplying by 2
- Issue 6 – Nutrition Month, Carabao Fractions, Division by 2
- Issue 7 – MSC High First Batch in 1998; Doubling and Halving
- Issue 8 – Mutya ng Pilipinas and Multiplying by 9
- Issue 9 – CocoFestival 1996 and Dividing by 5, 50, 0.5 etc
- Issue 10 – MSC Alumni Meeting , Multiplying by 5
- Issue 11 – Featured Alumni – Edgar Cauyan and Division by 9
- Issue 12 – MSC Alumni Activities; Dividing by 4 and 8
- Issue 13 – T-Shirt Design Contest and Multiplying by 25, 250 and 125
- Issue14 – Alumni Working in CARD, and Division by 25, 250, and 125
- Issue 15 – Basketball League & Squaring Numbers Ending in 5
- Issue 16 – 25th Foundation Celebration & Multiplying Complementary Numbers
- Issue 17 – 25th MSC Founding Anniversary Updates & Base Multiplication
- Issue 18 – MSC Foundation Day and Base Multiplication
Every week, this newsletter will feature one math short cut. We will progress from the simplest to the simple. Believe you can do it! Just proceed one step ( short cut ) at a time, and be pleasantly surprised to discover none of the math short cuts are difficult! Forward this newsletter to your friends, relatives, and young kids.
To ensure you receive our newsletter in your inbox, please add email@example.com to your email address book or safe sender list. Forward this mail to your friends and invite them to subscribe to the 25 Math Short Cuts Newsletter today!