Issue 14 – Alumni Working in CARD, and Division by 25, 250, and 125
Featured group: MSC Alumni Working in CARD
CARD or the Center for Agriculture and Rural Development was founded in 1986 as a social development organization has now grown into the country’s microfinance leader. It offers microloans to support the livelihood activities of poor women and it also initiates programs in education, health, and agriculture. Today CARD has expanded to many institutions, including a microfinance organization, a bank for small and medium enterprises, an insurance agency, a leasing company, a pharmacy, and many others. Collectively these companies are known as CARD MRI ( CARD Mutually Reinforcing Institutions ) .
MSC Institute of Technology has been a reliable provider of IT knowledge workers to CARD MRI, especially to the company tasked to support the information and communication technology requirements of the group, the CARD MRI Information Technology Inc. (CMIT). The current CMIT President and Vice President are MSC alumni.
In this issue
- Featured Group: MSC Alumni Working in CARD
- MSC Green School Campus: a stop-over for Climate Walk
- MSC’s Firsts: First to do School to School Orientation
- Converting meters to feet
- Stories from the Alumni: Ednelyn Agulto
- MSC 14 – Division by 25, 250, and 125
To ensure you receive our newsletter in your inbox, please add email@example.com to your email address book or safe sender list. Just click here to subscribe, or just send an email with “Subscribe” on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org .
MSC Green Campus: A Stop-over for Climate Walk
VYP-MSC Institute of Technology played host to an environmental group currently conducting the Manila to Tacloban Climate Walk – a people’s walk for climate justice.
With the objective of promoting awareness on the effects of climate change, the group started at Rizal Park or kilometer 0 on October 2, and expects to reach Tacloban or ground 0 by November 8, in time for the first anniversary of Super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)
MSC Firsts: First to do School to School Orientation for Incoming Freshmen
When MSC started offering two-year courses, it also started a new trend in the way schools were promoted and advertised.
MSC went to private and public high schools and talked to all graduating students to introduce MSC and its courses. This included all former annexes of the San Pablo City National High School dispersed in different barangays. The MSC team also went to schools in Candelaria, Batangas, Liliw, and Los Baños.
Conversion: Meters to Feet
Since 1 yard = 3 feet, we can use the conversion factor 1 meter = 3.3 feet. We can simplify this computation using one of our favorite shortcuts, multiplying by 11. Remember that multiplying by 1.1 is simply multiplying by 11, and dividing by 10.
We can convert meters into feet in two ways, both involving only mental calculations:
Stories from the Alumni: Ednelyn Agulto
If you asked me what years in school I had fun with, I have to say it would have to be my high school days. I couldn’t help but look back on my four years at VYP-MSC Institute of Technology and ask myself, “What made my high school memories worth remembering?”.
MSC 14 – Dividing by 25, 250, 125
Remember that 25 is 100 divided by 4, so dividing by 25 is the same as dividing by 100 and multiplying by 4:
- move the decimal point two places to the left then
- multiply by 4 ( or double twice)
- Issue 1 – Creating Zeroes
- Issue 2 – All From 9 and the Last from 10
- Issue 3 – Subtraction Without Borrowing
- Issue 4 – Stories from MSC Alumni, and Multiplying by 11
- Issue 5 – Blast from the Past, The Search is on and Multiplying by 2
- Issue 6 – Nutrition Month, Carabao Fractions, Division by 2
- Issue 7 – MSC High First Batch in 1998; Doubling and Halving
- Issue 8 – Mutya ng Pilipinas and Multiplying by 9
- Issue 9 – CocoFestival 1996 and Dividing by 5, 50, 0.5 etc
- Issue 10 – MSC Alumni Meeting , Multiplying by 5
- Issue 11 – Featured Alumni – Edgar Cauyan and Division by 9
- Issue 12 – MSC Alumni Activities; Dividing by 4 and 8
- Issue 13 – T-Shirt Design Contest and Multiplying by 25, 250 and 125
In the Next Issue
- MSC graduates receive Golden Laurel Achievement Awards
- MSC Origins part IX: Acquisition of MSC Annex
- Converting Yards to Meters
- Stories from Hazel Flores-Maghirang
- Trivia – MSC: NAMFREL volunteer, SPERM member
- MSC 15 – Squaring Numbers Ending in 5
- FREE Entrance/Scholarship Exam starting Dec. 4
Every week, for 25 weeks up to December 4, 2014 when we celebrate our 25th Foundation day, this newsletter will feature one math short cut. We will progress from the simplest to the simple. Believe you can do it! Just proceed one step ( short cut ) at a time, and be pleasantly surprised to discover none of the math short cuts are difficult! Forward this newsletter to your friends, relatives, and young kids.
To ensure you receive our newsletter in your inbox, please add email@example.com to your email address book or safe sender list. Forward this mail to your friends and invite them to subscribe to the 25 Math Short Cuts Newsletter today!
Pingback: Issue 15 – Basketball League & Squaring Numbers Ending in 5 | The MSC Advantage